When creating, updating, or renovating any space to create your Babe Cave, it is important to consider the balance of your design choices. The balance of your design is a concept that considers the distribution of visual weight. This means that all the aspects of the space are distributed equally to create the most visually appealing display.
Creating a balanced space will make your Babe Cave more visually pleasing as well as comfortable. This is because the human brain naturally finds symmetry and balance to be comforting and pleasing to the eye. Asymmetrical design choices, while they might seem more interesting and edgy, often lose their appeal quickly.
Factors to Consider for Design Choices
There are many factors to consider when creating a balanced design. These factors are the same no matter the size of the project, although some will be of more or less importance depending on the specifics of the space. Many of these factors are dependent on one another as well. It is best to keep all factors in mind to create a balanced design.
- Size – The size of everything in your Babe Cave project has visual weight. The size of your room needs to be considered, as does the size of all of the major aspects of the room such as doors or windows and the size of the items in the room. For example, the look and feel of a small room will be completely different depending on the size of a window. Or in a very large room, one small focal piece may get lost and feel unnatural.
- Shape – The shape of anything also has visual weight and will affect the balance of your Babe Cave project. The shape of the room or space will certainly affect your design choices. For example, the best window size and placement will be dependent on the shape of the room just as much as the size.
- Color – The colors you choose will also affect the balance of your design. Dark or very bright colors have more visual weight than pale or light colors. What kind of color you use for your BabeCave will affect the balance of your design choice.
- Texture – Much like color, texture will affect the balance as well. Too much or too little texture in any given space may offset the balance of your BabeCave design.
- Decor – Decorative items such as art and other focal pieces greatly affect the balance of the space you are designing. You want to distribute these items throughout your BabeCave in a way that creates symmetry.
- Orientation – Where you put all items affects the symmetry of your BabeCave. Your decorative items, furniture, and even rugs and pillows can affect the balance of your design.
- Offset Eye-Catchers – To create focal pieces that draw the eye in and balance the room, you can use offset items that complement each other. For example, a patterned item in one area of your BabeCave may complement the color of a decorative item on the other side of the room, creating a visually appealing balance.
Balancing your design choices will help create a comfortable and more visually appealing space. Remember: your BabeCave is a reflection of you, designed for you. Make it comfortable, with a balanced design, so it’s a place you love to call your own – your own BabeCave. Forget being a princess – you’re a Babe!